Scrum is gaining popularity as more companies realize the benefits of adopting a more Agile way of working. Many of these companies are using Scrum as their preferred delivery framework. Version One, in their annual Agile survey, found that over 70% of surveyed agile projects are managed using Scrum.
Scrum is an empirical process management framework, using frequent inspection points to implement change based on experience and feedback. Scrum has been used successfully since 1994; the highly competitive dot com boom was its proving
ground. It was an environment that lent itself to focused effort, minimizing waste and providing earlier customer visibility to accelerate return on investment. Many companies that grew during that time such as Google and Salesforce, continue to use Scrum. During the last few years, Agile has begun to move into the mainstream with more companies looking to achieve similar benefits by applying Scrum to more diverse projects.
Scrum is a simple process framework that empowers people to higher performance, where management take a less directive and a more leadership-based role, supporting small multi-disciplined teams and removing anything that stands in their way.
Because Scrum is simple, it requires a different way of thinking when compared to traditional project management. It also requires the application of a key set of principles to guide the implementation of Scrum to realize its benefits in complex environments.
The course uses real examples to discuss the options, approaches and implications for a ScrumMaster when dealing with stakeholders, Product Owners or development team members who are not following Scrum.
Please note that this is a certified course which requires 6 hours training time per day. This means a 9:00am start and a 5pm finish each day, with 1.5 hours for breaks.Delegates must attend for this time to be eligible for certification. The trainer reserves the right to not register delegates for the Scrum Alliance if they do not attend the training for the full 12 hours.
Attendees on the course will receive:
- Scrum Alliance 2 year membership for all attendees and access to the CSM online exam
- A 200 pagework book, including a wealth of links and reference material
- An electronic copy of the references and links sent during the course
- A set of planning poker cards
This is a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master course, on successful completion of the 2-day course you eligible for the Scrum Alliance’s Online CSM assessment. Once the test has been successfully completed, you will then become a Scrum Alliance Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM), and have a two-year membership to the Scrum Alliance.
Delegates should be familiar with the content and rationale for the rules of Scrum in the Scrum Guide, available at www.scrumalliance.org.
Why Scrum works and what it is.
Agile Principles & Scrum Overview
- Agile Principles
- Lean Principles
- Process control models
- Incremental and Iterative product development
- Shifting the focus on product management
- Overview of the Scrum process
- Dedicated cross functional teams
- Conditions for Self-Organization
- T-shaped people
Product Backlog and User Stories
- Product backlog characteristics
- User Stories
- Getting your first backlog
Estimation for Forward planning
- Why comparative estimation works
- Planning Poker
Product Backlog Items
- Getting backlog items Ready
- Slicing User stories
- Team capacity
- Facilitating the sprint planning meeting
- The Sprint backlog
- Sprint Burndown chart
- Definition of Done
- How the team should work in a sprint
- Tools for the ScrumMaster
- Sustainable Pace
Scrum Roles and Responsibilities
- The Team and building effective teams
- ScrumMaster Responsibilities
- Product Owner Responsibilities
- The Scrum Project Community
- What happens to traditional roles in Scrum?
Release Planning and Tracking Progress
- Release Planning
- Tracking release progress
- Scrum of Scrums
- Scaling the product backlog
- Scaling across a program and business areas
- Distributed Teams
London - International House
1 St Katharines Way
International House is a premier training centre located close to Tower Bridge, between St Katharine Dock and the Tower of London.
The nearest car park is the NCP at Whitechapel High Street.
- London Fenchurch Street Rail – 12 minute walk
- London Cannon Rail – 20 minute walk
- London Bridge Rail – 25 minute walk
- Tower Gate Way - 8 minute walk
- Tower Hill – 10 minute walk
- Aldgate - 15 minutes walk
- Aldgate East – 17 minute walk
- Monument – 18 minute walk
- Bank - 22 minute walk
- London Bridge Underground – 25 Minute walk
Routes 42, 78 and RV1 use the Tower of London stop (TL) on St. Katharine’s Way, just outside International House.
The Certified Scrum Master Evaluation
The online CSM Evaluation is taken after completing your CSM course. You’ll receive an email from the Scrum Alliance that includes a link to the Scrum Alliance website and instructions for creating your profile.
Create your online profile and click the Self-Evaluation link under the “Pending Exams” section of your profile dashboard. Then click OK to begin (you should view the tutorial before starting the exam; it will show you how to use the online test application).
What can I expect from the Certified Scrum Master Evaluation?
• General Scrum knowledge
• Scrum roles
• Scrum meetings
• Scrum artifacts
The CSM test has a passing score of 24 out of 35 questions. You will have two attempts within 90 days after you receive your welcome email to pass the test at no cost. After two attempts or 90 days, you will be charged $25 for each additional attempt
How soon after my course do I have to complete the Certified Scrum Master Evaluation?
After receiving your membership email, you have 90 days to take and complete the evaluation.
Is it true that there is no pass mark?
This was the case until September 2012. Now there is a passing score of 24 out of 35 questions. You are allowed one free re-sit if you fail.
After successfully completing the evaluation, your Scrum Alliance membership becomes active for 2 years from the date of your CSM course.