The ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management course provides comprehensive first-level training for anyone involved in provision, support, and delivery of IT Services.
If you are new to ITIL and IT Service Management, then taking your ITIL Foundation training with us now gives all this:
This course is aimed at all levels of IT professionals, Customers, and Users involved in the provision or receipt of IT Services.
The latest version of ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) provides a detailed set of best practice for IT Service Management. This foundation course introduces ITIL as a whole - in the context of the service lifecycle.
ITIL embodies practices deployed by the world's most successful organisations to optimise their IT services. This Foundation course will introduce key ITIL processes including Service Level Management, Service Continuity, Configuration Management, Release Management, Incident and Problem Management.
The ITIL Foundation Certificate exam is taken on the final day of the course.
The course will enable delegates to:
- Explain the concept of Service Management
- Explain the objectives and business value for each phase of the Service Lifecycle
- Define key ITIL terminology
- Understand how key ITIL processes contribute to the Service Lifecycle
- Explain the role, objectives, organisational structures, staffing and metrics of the Service Desk function
- Account for the range of Service Management roles
- List generic requirements for a set of Service Management technologies and understand how service automation assists with integrating Service Management processes
There are no compulsory pre-requisites though a basic awareness of IT services is assumed.
- Service Management as a Practice
- The Service Lifecycle
- Key Principles and Models
- Generic Concepts
- Technology and Architecture
- ITIL Qualification Scheme
The course covers the fundamentals of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) core volumes which provide an end-to-end view of IT and its integration with business strategy. Those core volumes are: Service Strategy, Service Design, Service Transition, Service Operation, Continual Service Improvement
The course is comprised of lecture sessions, hands on exercises which reinforce the knowledge gained and practice examinations. Those delegates taking the certificate exam on the final day will need to plan to spend 90-120 minutes each evening on revision and example examination questions.
Attend From Anywhere
Extended Classroom: an innovative approach to learning
Our ‘Attend from Anywhere’ courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training without leaving your home or office. We use GoToMeeting video conferencing software by Citrix. Before you book you should:
- check to ensure you meet the GoToMeeting system requirements
- run a test meeting to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings (if this link doesn’t work you should adjust your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website)
- make sure you have a compatible webcam if you are doing any ITIL or BCS Specialist exams, as visual ID checks will be required (click here to test if your hardware is compatible)
What will it be like?
- Just before the course begins you will be able to launch the software, dial-in to the classroom and familiarise yourself with the interface and how the virtual interactions work.
- The course will be split into multiple sessions, with short breaks in between so you can stay focussed and refreshed.
- Throughout the course the learning professional will use an electronic whiteboard, which will transmit all the notes directly to your screen.
- You can ask the learning professional a question at any time, either by simply speaking aloud through your microphone or by clicking the virtual ‘raise-a-hand’ button on the interface.
- Towards the end of the course there will be plenty of time for detailed Q&As with the learning professional, just as if you were physically in the classroom.
- Following the course you will be asked to complete a course evaluation form, which will allow you to give detailed feedback on your experience and help us to make future improvements.
- For four weeks after the course has finished you will have on-demand access to helpful videos on the subject matter, and we may send you useful emails reminding you of the ‘Key Learning Points’.
Frequently asked questions
You will need an internet-connected computer and a microphone to interact with the trainer. Two monitors are recommended; one to stream the video from the classroom and the other to display the interactive interface.
We use leading Citrix technology and our classrooms are specifically optimised to improve sound quality for remote attendees. We also send out the equipment you need in the post (headset and manuals) and contact you to test everything is working a week before the course starts.
Will the remote attendees feel excluded?
Our trainers are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our technology allows them to take over remote PCs. Our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on class exercises wherever they are.
It is too expensive
Feedback we receive is that organisations and individuals actually save money by booking this type of course when they factor in the costs associated with in-person training such as travel costs and expenses such as hotels, food and childcare.
How do I take the exam remotely? You can take your exam via the Proctor U online exam body. You need to book it before the course begins and switch on a webcam to enable invigilation and show photo ID.
You can take your exam via the Proctor U online exam body. You need to book it before the course begins and switch on a webcam to enable invigilation and show photo ID.
ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management Pre-Course Reading:
- Delegates will be provided with pre-course reading prior to attending the course by email. Success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that delegates spend 2 hours working through the pre-reading.
- If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact us
The course culminates in a one-hour multiple-choice examination for the Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and is a pre-requisite for the further training in ITIL that leads to the ITIL Expert Certificate in IT Service Management. The exam is multi-choice. There are 40 questions to be completed in 60 minutes. The pass mark is 26 correct answers from 40 (65%). This course also provides 21 Hours of Contact Education/Professional Development Units towards PMI PMP certification / re certification.
This course comes with Exam insurance.
You must notify Focus within seven days of failing your exam, and the retake must be taken within three months of the original course.
Your one exam re-take should be taken on a scheduled exam re-sit date.
If there is not an exam-only day scheduled at a convenient location or we cannot accommodate you within the agreed timescales, we will endeavour to issue you a voucher to take the exam at a third party test centre, or book you on to re-join us at a later date on a scheduled public course.